Initial situation

The population in the small village of Mutulu, in the West Showa district of the Oromia region (approx. 150 km west of Addis Ababa) so far had no access to clean water. The people fell ill from drinking polluted water. Women and children spent a lot of time fetching clean water from a distant spring under exhausting conditions.


Thanks to the good cooperation with the local partner Environmentalists Development Association – Ethiopia (EDA-E), a solution for the people could be found. Extensive construction measures were carried out in 2007. The problem of the water supply was solved by capturing the main spring, laying a 6 km long PE pipeline, building a cistern and 12 water points in the village and at the school.


More than 1,200 people were thus supplied with clean drinking water. The village community selected people for the water committee and the technical supervision of the facilities. These people were trained by the EDA-E and the local water authority through courses and practical work on site during project implementation. Thus, maintenance is ensured.
The project “Water Supply for School and Village Mutulu/Ethiopia” was successfully completed at the end of 2007.

Project partner

Environmentalists Development Association – Ethiopia (EDA-E) is an indigenous, non-profit, non-governmental organization founded to link environmental protection with development. Part of its objectives is to provide clean water to rural populations without destroying existing ecosystems or causing new conflicts over water use.


approx. 39,000 Euros

The village community, EDA-E and the local water authority contributed about 15%. The remaining 85% were borne by the WaterFoundation.

Planning for the future

The school of Mutulu is not only to be supplied with drinking water, but the WaterFoundation also wants to put the subject of water on the curriculum, so that the pupils learn how to handle water practically in the school garden, in the sanitary environment and in nature (our concept of the WaterSchool). Moreover, the sanitary situation of the school is underdeveloped so far. There is an urgent need for action here.

This website uses cookies. If you continue to surf the site, you consent to the use of cookies. More information